Wednesday 9 July 2014

Book Review: Midwinterblood

Marcus Sedgwick always portrays the life in many different definitions.
I was wrong when I purchased the book,
Thinking it was a gore, dark-themed piece of literature,
As the cover told me.

It was the story of sacrifice.

I was already lost when the second chapter strikes.
It was always about Eric and Merle.
It is their story.
Love that transcends in many forms.
Father and daughter.
King and queen.
Brother and sister.

It was always about them.
The seven lives they live,
Dance around each other,
And none place other than Blessed Island.

I was searching for the blood bath,
Spine-chilling story lines that makes my skin trembles.
Instead I found love.
And most of all;
Sacrifice.

****
    "I will live seven times, and I will look for you in each one. We will always be together."
Gunnar raises the knife, and the moonlight gleams from its edge.
   
   "I will look for you and love you in each. Will you follow?"
Suddenly Gunnar sweeps the knife across Eirikr's throat, in single long arc of silver.
   
   He makes no sound now. There is no air to make the sound. There are only the lips moving on Eirikr's face, but Melle sees what the words are.

  "Will you follow?"
 ****
Knowing her time was at an end, she lay down on the table. 
    
    People gathered round, but she still saw no one but the face in front of her, the face of Eirikr, her king. 

   She shut her eyes, and as the life sighed gently away from her, she finally answered his question.

  "Yes," she whispered, "I will follow you."
****

And so, their journeys begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment