Wednesday 9 July 2014

Book Review: The Old Man And The Sea

It is said that there are 10 top famous literature piece,
And Ernest Hemmingway's "The Old Man And The Sea" was one of them.
I am still searching for the other nine;
Anna Karenina by Tolstoy,
The Scarlet Letter by Hawthorne,
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes,
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain,
Jane Eyre by Bronte,
Great Expectations by Dickens,
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee,
The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald,
and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

Well,
I am not ashamed to say I've read "To Kill A Mockingbird" twice,
Once when I was in high school,
And once when we were doing literature in IPG KDRI.
And Jane Eyre once (I really, really despise Mr. Rochester. Seriously, the man was a douchebag.)

And I've watched movie adaptation of "Pride And Prejudice", "The Great Gatsby",
And "Great Expectation".
I develop an affection towards Keira Knightly from "Pride and Prejudice",
And intense hate towards Gwyneth Paltrow from "Great Expectations".
Yes,
I've watched the 1998 version,
Not the 2012.
I mean,
Ew,
Helena Bonham Carter as Miss Havisham?

Well,
Actually Helena Bonham Carter would make ABSOLUTELY AWESOME Miss Havisham rather than Anne Bancroft.

But I am out of topic here.
I want to review about my latest finding,
Ernest Hemmingway's "The Old Man And The Sea".

At first glance,
the book depicts of the old man's struggle with the Marlin and the sea,
A typical story about fishermen.
But then I found out it wasn't about just that at all.
The old man's intense relationship with the boy kept me thinking about the level of friendliness involved.
The boy doesn't just assist him,
He holds something as clear as mentor-worshipping and as a close kin.
But the old man also treats Manolin (the boy) as his equal,
"As fishermen", he said.
Then, 
About his struggle with the Marlin that ensued the pain in his hands.
What remains a mystery is the connection between his faith and DiMaggio..

WHY IS HE FREQUENTLY MONOLOGUING OUT LOUD WHEN HE WAS LOST AT THE SEA?
WAS IT SO THAT HE WOULD KEEP HIS SANITY INTACT?
MAN,
TALKING TO YOURSELF OUT LOUD IS KINDA CRAZY.
"well you're one to talk."
SHUT UP, NO ONE ASKED YOU.
THEN,
SANTIAGO (THE OLD MAN) SAID THERE ARE THREE THINGS THAT ARE BROTHERS.
IT IS THE FISH AND HIS TWO HANDS.
WHY ARE THEY BROTHERS?
YOU CAN'T LIVE WITH THEM,
AND YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT THEM.
IS THAT IT?

I seriously cracked half of my brain reading this. And I should be saving it for practicum, KKPs, and finals. Yeesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment