Saturday 30 November 2013

Sleep.

The room was dark. Tony was glad. He stumbled forward and sank into the visitor's chair. "I do not want to be an Avenger anymore," he said. "I am quitting. I'm just going to be your kept man, okay?"

"Okay," Steve said, easily enough. "I've got seventy years of back pay. And I can always get a job, I don't need much sleep."

Tony pulled off his gauntlets and set them aside. "You're not supposed to agree to that, Rogers. You should be horrified by such a tawdry concept."

"Yes, the idea of you, safe and sound and perpetually naked in my bed-" Steve's lips quirked up.
"That's just terrible. What was I thinking?"

"I know, clearly you weren't in your right mind when you agreed," Tony paused. "But if you'd ever like that full-time job, I've got some openings in the art department at StarkIndustries."

"That is a horrible idea." Steve fumbled at the side of the bed, and Tony took his hand.

"I just want to be able to sexually harass someone and not get sued," Tony said, grinning. "C'mon, you always say you don't know what to get me for my birthday."

"You're seriously trying to add me to your staff just so you can come and grope me during work hours?" Steve was trying hard to be stern, but he wasn't quite pulling it off. "That's pathetic, Tony. Even for you."

"Hey, I've got class. There wouldn't be groping. Just some hovering and dirty jokes and the occasional implication that a guy with a mouth like yours could go places if he felt like putting himself out there every once in a while."

"Do not push your luck right now."

Tony sighed. "You're not going to take the job at StarkIndustries, are you?"

"I promised I would. Pepper brought the paperwork around yesterday, and God help me, I signed it. I will be doing contract work when available at the high salary of a dollar per year," he said, with a faint smile. "Unlike some people in this room, I honor my commitments."

"I love you. So very, very much," Tony said, his voice reverent.

Steve gave him a look over his shoulder, but he was smiling. "Tell me when you're not feeling well, okay?"

"Okay," Tony agreed, his lips twitching. "But only so I can whine for sympathy and attention."

"Making it no different from any other day," Steve said, and when Tony gave him sad, pathetic eyes, he grinned. "I do not fall for that. Anymore. Mostly. Stop it, your eyes are gigantic, it's very disconcerting." He crossed back to the bed, leaned over Tony and planted a hard kiss on his lips. "I love you. Even though you're determined to make me insane."

No comments:

Post a Comment