Monday 16 June 2014

"The Fault In Our Stars" Book Review. Among Others.

"I fell in love with Augustus Waters."

I would say it out loud,
I really do.

He is an epitome of perfection for what literature nerd-girl would say.

He has a good quality of wittiness when talking about the generality or specification view about practically... EVERYTHING.

He talks with good quotes from the book "An Imperial Affliction",
He loves listening to Hazel Grace reading poems,
He has no qualms of being who he really is,
He has a weird obsession of saving pixel-graphic children in video games,
He is too straightforward for his own good,
He can make people in awe with what comes out from his mouth,
He can make Hazel Grace laughs without even trying,
And his view of world is different from others as he already struggled from the side effect of dying.

I guess cancer survivors really DO live their lives to the fullest.
And I would be telling a lie when I say I didn't cry at the end of the book.
Spoiler alert: He dies.

But then I would be a hypocrite if I say it out loud.

I would be a walking cliché like I always view of other Malay girls who sighs at the novelty of perfect protagonists in stereotype Malay novels.

Because it was like falling in love with "An Idea of a Perfect Guy."

It is always easy to fall in love with a fictional character in books because the author always has a good impression what a PERFECT PROTAGONIST is.

For example,
Captain Abraham Griswold of "Dearly, Departed". 
The author, Lia Habel drilled her readers' thoughts to fall in love with zombies instead of being terrified of them.
Girls started that conception from the movie "Warm Bodies",
But my sister and I loved them long before that.
Like I said,
A walking cliche.

Then,
We have Will of the "Firelight Trilogy".
Girls are trained to love something that the stars aligned "impossible".
In the books,
Will and Jacinda are stars-crossed lovers.
It is easier to say that they are the "dragon and hunter" version of Twilight Saga.
It is an impossible love,
And girls sighs longingly at the idea of the challenging adventure of having a star-crossed relationship.

Speaking of Twilight Saga,
I have a joke about that pathetic movie/books.

"Who will Bella choose? Whether it is bestiality or Necrophilia."

I will marry the guy who laughs at this joke. No. Seriously.

Putting those two books aside,
Yes,
"The Fault In Our Stars" book review.
It was supposed to be a literature teen novel,
Not a love-centered chick flick novels.

Because it teaches us to snatch whatever small hope we have,
And to live.
Live.
"I'm in love with you, and I am not in business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things." - Augustus Waters

No comments:

Post a Comment